Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Adjustments and Tips -- From a Working Mom to Full Time Mom and Housewife



It’s been 7 months since I left office to be a full time mom and housewife. It wasn’t an easy decision to make for me and my hubby considering the endless factors but so far I can say we’re managing well. It’s really hard at first, and is still a continuous process – managing my time… taking care of the baby and doing household chores since we don’t have a helper or nanny. There were and still are those depressing days, I should say. It’s hard to stay at home and think of my to dos from the time I wake up… and not to mention staying at home with me and my baby alone almost all the time.

It really is hard and challenging. But for the past months, I came up with some good strategies on how to lighten things up a bit. It’s some of my solutions to the boredom and stress I have to face at times.

ü  Make a weekly schedule/list of chores having aside an option when to do it – A perfect example would be doing the laundry… I do it at least twice a week for about 3 hours but I have the option to do it on a Tuesday and Friday or Monday and Thursday (setting aside the weekend for some relaxing and grocery shopping).Remember you don’t have to make a strict schedule all the time. A variety of options and at times straying from the usual routinary work can drive away boredom. 

ü  Do some rearranging – aside from the regular cleaning, it’s fun to do some rearranging of things like furniture, etc... It’s like being in a new house every time. 

ü  Read materials that can be helpful to you – I usually buy magazines like Women’s Health and Good Housekeeping. And of course aside from those you can also read articles from the internet. Sometimes knowing that others are experiencing and feeling the same way as you are makes it more understandable and acceptable – that you are just a normal human being like everybody else. And best of all you get to know what to do based on other people’s experiences.

ü  Have a “me” time – Set aside time for yourself and do the things you love. In my case I have my “me” time when my hubby’s here to take my position as nanny or sometimes I ask my in-laws to keep an eye on baby for a few hours. I go out with my friends, go shopping or visit my parents. Another perfect “me” time is when baby’s sleeping during the day. That’s when I get to do the other things for myself like indulging on a cup of ice cream while watching my favorite movie. 

ü  Listen to good music while doing chores – needless to say, this is one of the best advices I can give 

ü  Watch a movie (at home or out) – takes your mind off things, remember what they always say – relax, see a movie!! 

ü  Go out with your baby and/or hubby –As simple as going out and walking a few blocks away not only kills boredom but exercises your muscles. Plus, it’s also a good bonding time with your baby and/or hubby. 

ü  Exercise – Aside from its good health benefits, us – moms, have to take care of our bodies. Remember that you still have to love yourself. Let us try our best to be fit. Isn’t it nice to look at the mirror and see a beautiful, fit and sexy you? 

ü  Beautify yourself – This kinda goes hand in hand with exercise. If you find yourself really not being able to get some exercise, try putting on makeup, or having a nice hair cut, or a manicure and pedicure perhaps. These are things that can make you feel more beautiful. 

ü  Eat healthy food, drink plenty of water and get enough sleep – of course these one of the basics 

ü  Learn new dishes – it’s a very fulfilling experience to be able to cook good food – sort of an accomplishment (especially for me who never learned to cook until recently)

ü  Plant – Some people really enjoy planting. Be it flower plants or veggies or any kind of plant you think you can grow. It’s another accomplishment… and gives you a relaxing and fresh feeling being surrounded by plants. 

ü  Join your baby while watching his favorite cartoons / movie – this is a very good bonding time. Plus, your baby learns more seeing your reactions and at the same time you can take this opportunity to teach him things. I myself especially love watching cartoons. I guess there will always be a child in all of us.

ü  Pray – as humans we have to go thru different phases and experience difficulties in life. But there’s always that hope that our Creator has a plan for us. Remember to thank Him for each day and ask for forgiveness and guidance, you will see that things will be better, brighter and A-ok.

 All right, so these are some of my tips on how to make being a full time mom and housewife easier and more fun. Remember, happiness is a state of mind. You always have the option to be happy or sad. You just have to choose and work on it. For me, being a full time mom and housewife is a very big leap. It’s a very big responsibility… but at the same time the feeling of accomplishment is the best. So to those who are planning to take the big leap as well and those who already did, I hope this helps you in a way. Enjoy motherhood =)