Saturday, April 7, 2012

Reminiscing my Preggy Days


Time really flies so fast and today our little baby is already two years old. I still remember the days when he was still in my womb. I have so many memories which I like to share with you; most of them were the challenging ones.




-= When we Got the News =-

It was August, 2009 when we learned I was pregnant. It was a mixture of every bit of feeling coz we were in the midst of taking care of all the preparations for the big day (church wedding) set in December. I had so many doubts that time. I wasn’t sure I’m ready to have a baby yet. The exact day I took the pregnancy test, my hubby (fiancé that time) was promoted… which we took as a very positive sign. We thought immediately – this baby would bring us good luck. =)  



-= During the 1st Trimester =-

My early pregnancy signs were – spotting which lasted for two days, dizziness (kind of the feeling when riding a bus, or any vehicle where the driver hits on the brakes every now and then), frequent urinating, very strong sense of smell (I was irritated in the smell of garlic and some perfume)… well those are some. Big no-no’s were coffee, iced tea and dark soft drinks / soda, smoking and alcohol, high heels, make-up (I had to switch to mineral foundation), salty and sweet food, going to the parlor (haircut is ok but any treatments that use chemicals weren’t allowed). One of the hardest things I had to do was to drink 8 to 12 glasses (2 liters) of water every day. I never got used to drinking enough water. My OB gyne saw that the amniotic fluid (water inside the womb that surrounds and protects the baby) was not sufficient and I also had urinary tract infection since my body didn’t get enough fluid (when I had U.T.I., I always had fever, thanks to biogesic, it’s the only OB recommended OTC drug I can take). During this period I had spotting at times too so my OB suggested a few weeks bed rest. I had to take 2 types of medicines for weeks and suppository for a few days so I could flush out the one-inched blood clot seen in the ultrasound. During my 3rd month, we also visited the hospitals where my OB was accredited… checked the room we were expecting to get, the facilities and of course compute the expected finances that would go with the soon to be delivery (this is very important so that you know what to expect).



-= 2nd Trimester =-

Luckily this period was almost no hassle at all. My hubby was so mindful of what I ate and we really watched me and my baby’s weight so I can have a normal delivery. I ate mostly fish, vegetables and fruits. Very less and almost no salty food and sweets (but I sneak out eating halo halo and chocolates sometimes…hehe). I cut my rice intake since I immediately felt full every meal. Of course, I had to take enough water daily and fresh buco juice too to avoid having U.T.I. again and they say it also helps in cleaning the baby inside the womb. By the way this was the time my hubby and I got married in the far south… a very happy moment (I remember feeling our baby kicking when we were in front of the altar) =)


-= 3rd trimester and Giving Birth =- 

Well, this was the most challenging stage. By this time we had to prepare ourselves for the delivery and the sleepless nights to follow. We already prepared the baby bag (this includes everything that baby needs when in the hospital for delivery like clothes, diapers, baby blanket, feeding bottle and formula milk **this is a MUST to all soon to be moms so when that moment comes, you’re all set to rush to the hospital with the baby bag to go. On my 7th month I did regular walks in the morning and late afternoon, usually after office, in preparation for the delivery. Later on my check-ups were on a weekly basis. Unfortunately during my last month of pregnancy, I again had U.T.I. so I had to take a high dosage of medicine. I had to be treated before giving birth so our baby won’t get it as well coz if he does, he also needs to be treated (imagine that little infant taking meds? – usually through injection!). 

Two days before giving birth while having dinner, I got those stomach aches. I couldn’t move for about a minute because of the pain and this went on until the following morning every 5 hours at least. So we went to the OB the day after and I was advised to take a rest since I’ll be giving birth within the week. After a few hours I had a few reddish discharges and so after a few hours again we already went to the hospital. In my I.E., it was then only 1 cm but my OB instructed the hospital staff to admit me already. My labor was induced--every 30 mins., 15 mins., 10, 5, 2, and later on every 30 seconds until it was fully dilated. It was a painful 15 hours of labor and I remember there was a time I asked my hubby for a C-section instead coz I can’t take the pain anymore. When I was ready to give birth, 2 men had to assist me so the anesthesiologist can inject the epidural somewhere in my spine. When I was in the delivery room, my OB didn’t have a hard time at all. The epidural immediately took effect which was a very big relief after those 15 long hours.  She had 2 assistants and they were chatting about something else (luckily, this took my mind off the pain). It only took me about 3-5 pushes before our little angel came out. And there he was… crying. It was a very moving experience which I really can’t put into words. The doctor handed him over to me and I called him out and said – BABY!! – and he tried to look at me. 


Those were the days and the experiences that go with it. Most of what I had gone through were not easy. But being a mother and seeing my little boy smiling, laughing, running, even shouting... every little thing he does is a miracle. Having him was not at all easy from the start but I’m lucky that I have my hubby, our loved ones and of course our Creator beside us to help and guide us along the way... and having a family of my own is a miracle in every way, every day.

Happy 2nd birthday to you, our Chinky Winky!!! You are and will always be our little angel… Mommy and Daddy love you very much!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment